About Me

My photo
I like intellectual conversations...having said that, I confess that the above statement is true, lame, vain and seriously flawed cause intellectual conversations are not classified as intellectual conversations (atleast by the people carrying out the conversation)! Further on, intellectuals do not openly accept the fact that they are intelligent....now where does all that leave me on the intellect scale?? - the vegetarian carnivore

Tuesday 13 May 2008

The death of a Parent

I went to bed complaining about how narrow minded people in general were...I woke up when I heard my mobile sing in the small child's voice..my ring tone 'You're my honeybunch..'. Strange, how the sweet child's voice seemed to clench my heart in a suffocating grip....forcing it to indulge into a rendering palpitation. Call it sixth sense, intuition or just the sheer fear of waking up in the early morning's dark hours to a child's sweet singing..the ring tone on my mobile phone...

There is life before someone and there is life after someone... when that someone has been an intricate part of your life, a life that was before the someone.

Some complex genetic equations, a sperm and an egg...and we are created. This sounds 'stereotypically' philosophical, but it is an undeniable fact of life...it is a fact about you and it is a fact about me. An intricate and inextricable part of a human is his/her parents and his/her child. A physical extention taken either way.. an extension that would exist without any long term interdependencies.

When a parent dies, a part of us dies. A parent shaped vacuum is left in our lives. The death of a parent can sometimes kill a part of us; the death of our independent physical extension.

Death is so permanent that when we are suddenly hit with the death of a loved one, we are left with the bitter taste of the strange temporariness of 'life'!! We keep striving to hold on to all the precious things in our life, that satisfying job, that beautiful house, those enticing dreams..and then suddenly someone rudely wakes us up to tell us that we can NEVER hold on to the most precious part of our life - Our Loved Ones!!

No comments: